Friday, June 25, 2010

New PMG

UPDATE: Okay, so there wasn't actually a new PMG, but I think these suggestions are still valid.

It's confirmed! A new Preach My Gospel in the works! This is great news, by the way. It's not that I don't love the current edition, it's just that it needs some work (as all first edition books do -- just ask William Grandin). Here's what I hope will change, arranged in order from most important to least:

1) I want an optional pre-1st lesson lesson. In my mission, our Chinese program struggled with helping the people they taught understand basics. Kids in non-Christian cultures often grow up without even the basic understanding of who God and Christ are (beyond that they are the American deities), thus forcing missionaries to punt and explain to them what a prophet is, who Christ is, and why it's important that they listen to the missionaries as more than just an amusing novelty. This lesson obviously wouldn't be for everybody. Certainly not. But having an official version written by prophets would be a lot better than a version made up by a particularly bright 19-year-old kid.

2) A section on how to work with less-active members. In the current PMG it says to work with local leaders. That may be great for the inter-mountain west, but elsewhere in the world priesthood leaders and Relief Society presidents are so overwhelmed by the enormous problems they already face that they can't pay too much attention (or don't care to pay attention to) the vast, inactive majority of their ward or branch. I completely understand and don't fault them at all. But something needs to be done. The Brethren ought to (in my opinion) include at least a little section on how to treat less-active members, what kinds of lessons to be taught, and how much to contact and work with them.

3) An improved section on working with members, specifically how to help them fellowship. I was a JW Bible student for a while and felt SUPER fellowshipped and welcomed by their missionaries. Though I never even entertained attending a service at the time, I had no doubt that I would be welcomed by everybody there, and if I were to go to one today I would be given the "hand of fellowship" far better than our LDS congregations.

4) A section FOR regular members -- you know, how to initiate Gospel conversations in real life, etc. I think it could help to have a standardized reference for members. After all, if Chapter 9 and its accompanying tips on how to find people to teach can help missionaries in infinitely more diverse situations (and it does!), then a page or two could do wonders for Brother and Sister So and So in the Provo 1st Ward.

And that's what I think. Obviously many more changes could be made by people far smarter and higher up than I am, but as I am fresh from two years of daily PMG study, this list is what I would change if I could.

4 comments:

  1. Those are some constructive improvements - you should submit it to the missionary department!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The spirit of the Preach My Gospel book is to help and guide the members (read missionaries) of the church to share the gospel by listening to the spirit. So, they're not going to want to delineate everything. However, some things learned by other missionaries shared would really help future missionaries. I definitely agree with point four. As a member, especially living in Utah, I haven't the faintest idea how to share the gospel - and I have nonmember friends - but they already know "everything" about the church and aren't interested.

    The first key that should be mentioned is the fellowship point. Prophets have mentioned it in General Conference (cite:vague memory). Comparing our church services to those of other christian churches - I find as well a certain level of christianess - the type of behaviour that leads people to say they didn't join the church because of the people but because it's true.

    That ties into a section for members specifically. I remember trying to work with members and all I could do was show them how to be missionaries - but it is a little different being a full-time missionary and a member missionary.

    I don't know what they would say about working with less actives. That's mostly a matter of prayer because each situation is different. They already know the ward (usually) and don't like it. Some know everything and stopped going to church because they were too busy or simply unable to attend and then just never went back. A lot were offended (tons of articles about that). Each case however basically needs to be worked with through careful prayer. Sometimes the ward can help, sometimes the ward is the problem, and sometimes the ward has given up. That problem - I would like to read what a prophet has to say about how to help a ward who's given up on a family. But I feel that the ward needs to work with less actives more than missionaries. A lot of the time what a less active family needs is someone to care for five years. Missionaries are gone in six weeks. Members could do with a section on how to treat less actives though. A lot of them treated them like investigators - not progressing need to be dropped. Killed me inside. "my left arm is weak and doesn't feel like exercising I'll just cut it off" LA who've come back are some of the strongest people in the ward. Some of the members I worked with just didn't have the patience or love. So, I agree there should be a section on LA - one for members and one for missionaries. One of the best ways for missionaries to help LA I felt was to teach their children all of the discussions. A lot of the LA who left the church still wanted it for their children, but didn't know enough to teach them. But to get them to church.... members because as mentioned they often know the ward and don't like them. (often either the RS president or Bishop)

    And then you mentioned the regional differences. Missionary work is different where you go - should that be addressed in PMG or should it be addressed regionally by the mission presidents?

    Is that a long enough comment?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know someone who's helping create the new PMG (and there's been rumors of a new Hymn book too) You could definitely share your ideas; I've got the hook ups!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, second brother's child is wearing a unicorn costume :)

    ReplyDelete